National & International

David Fuller: Man confesses to murdering and abusing corpses in 1987

single image

A hospital worker has admitted murdering two women in 1987, and sexually abusing at least 100 female corpses, including children, according to the BBC.

David Fuller, 67, of Heathfield, East Sussex, attacked Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in Tunbridge Wells.

On the fourth day of his murder trial at Maidstone Crown Court, Fuller changed his plea to guilty.

He previously admitted sexually abusing bodies in two Kent hospital morgues over 12 years.

Fuller had earlier admitted to killing the womensubject to “diminished responsibility”, but denied murder.

Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb directed the jury to find him guilty on both counts of murder, after he was rearraigned.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said: “This is a shocking case. The sickening nature of the crimes committed will understandably cause public revulsion and concern.

“I would also like… to remember Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce, two young women who had their lives brutally taken away from them over 30 years ago. I hope their families can find some solace in seeing justice finally done.”

Warning: this article contains information some people may find distressing.

Fuller previously admitted sexually abusing bodies in two Kent hospital morgues over 12 years.

Ahead of the trial he had pleaded guilty to 51 offences, including 44 charges relating to 78 identified victims in the two mortuaries where he worked as an electrician.

Ms Knell’s family said in a statement that “it’s good knowing he will not be in a position to hurt or cause any more pain”.

A date for sentencing has yet to be set.

Investigators said the case came together following recent advances in DNA testing – and a huge police operation costing £2.5m – which linked Fuller to the double killings, dubbed “the Bedsit Murders”.

His saliva and other DNA was found on Ms Knell’s bedding, towel and intimate samples.

His semen was also found on Ms Pierce’s tights, the only item of clothing she was wearing when her body was found in a water-filled dyke three weeks after her abduction.

You may like